I created a BEACH HOUSE Pinterest board recently because that's sort of my "if you build it, they will come" ... but more like "if you pin it 1,000 times, it'll come to fruition." I'm not asking for an oceanfront monstrosity with a yacht club membership, just a sandy little beach shack - that's all. Something quaint with a vaulted ceiling in the common area, white paneled walls, painted floors, seagrass rugs, slipcovered sofas, lots of rattan, no to be too specific. You see, I'm a Pisces so I literally need a beach house so I can be close to water. It's v important for my mental stability. Note the houses I've pinned are definitely not shacks, what are ya gonna do? Scaled down versions of them would be ideal.
I found THIS cottage during a late night Zillow scroll session recently. It's cute! Vaulted ceilings, pine floors (I think?), private dock on a wide canal, etc. Just imagine it cleared of all the kitschy colorful beach paraphernalia and making way for my shell addiction. NICE.
Here's a short list of what I would <want to> do:
- Paint all the walls, trim, and cabinets white and whitewash the ceiling
- Add a simple subway tile kitchen backsplash and replace counters with quartz (painting cabinets white - or maybe a really light grayish blue) + polished nickel hardware, plumbing fixtures
- All new appliances in kitchen
- Wallpaper the bathrooms (in vinyl for durability)
- Replace the ceiling fans unless they are absolutely needed in the bedrooms
- Replace all the mini blinds with bamboo shades or plantation shutters
- Add a long table to the screened in porch for outdoor dining
- Rip out the counters in bathrooms and add pedestal sinks for more room
- Add an outdoor shower with enough privacy - like THIS
- Create an outdoor fire pit seating area with pea gravel and pavers overlooking the canal
- Landscape with salt-tolerant perennials, shrubs, and trees that will thrive in the ever changing NC coastal climate (think pittosporum, Japanese holly, reed grass, liriope, dianthus)
Until then, I'll just be pinning my heart out and nurturing my water sign by taking long hot baths.